#Tinder
Going to college came with high expectations, I was always told that high school boys just didn't understand or appreciate me but college would be different. I was told the people there would appreciate my sharp wit and fast tongue more, that boys would be attracted to me. College kind of became more of a disappointment of every passing week without a single guy expressing an interest in me. I thought that maybe I just was too awkward in person at first glance, so I finally caved in and set up a Tinder account like many of my peers. What a roller coaster that turned out to be!
I set my up my account with my senior photos (my only professional photos taken of me, and the only photos I have where I'm not making a stupid face), I set my age range to 18-23 for the app to find me potential matches, and I set the distance for four miles (no way I was going to be walking all over the campus for a Tinder match!). For those of you not familiar with Tinder it's an app that shows you pictures of people in your area, you have the choice of swiping left at their picture (meaning you aren't interested) or right (matching you if you both swiped right for each other). Tinder started off great for me, I was getting matches left and right! And if I'm being honest most of the conversations were my first time talking to a guy who wasn't just a friend, considering the only guy's number in my phone is my best friend who I've known since sixth grade, I didn't know how this whole "flirting" thing worked. I should have attached pictures but please enjoy these conversation tid-bits that occurred over Tinder.
Boy: "Hey beautiful what are you doing tonight?"
Me: "Nothing, just hanging out. What kind of dog is that in your picture? My dog looks like a dingo!"
(Boy never responded)
Boy 2: Hey (October)
(I don't respond)
Boy 2: You wanna hang (November)
(I don't respond)
Boy 2: Or Nah? (December 2)
(I don't respond)
Boy 2: You're rude (December 30)
Boy 3: You should come over
Me: It's raining
Boy 3: I have a car
Me: ... I have a paper to write and print
Boy 3: You can use my printer
Me: It's midnight I have class tomorrow
Boy 3: I'll make sure you wake up and take you there
(I don't respond)
Me; How many tries did it take you to get that levitating picture?
Boy 4: One, I'm just that good
Me: I feel like you're lying, but it's a cool photo
Boy 4: I'm not lying, I'm really impressive. Only one take
Me: I mean even having to take it 200 times would still be impressive to get the shot but ok
(Boy 4 never responds)
I never met any of the guys I talked to on Tinder in real life, I was tempted to many times, but always weary in the end. I didn't know how I would behave around them in person. Do you tell a person that you've never been on a date before? Do I tell you these things? Is it weird if I do? How do you say no you don't want to go to their dorm room the first time you meet??
Tinder quickly switched from an app for me to potentially find a date to a good app where people just told me I was pretty. Because who doesn't want 150 guys telling you that you're beautiful? It was nice to know that while my conversations with these guys would never go anyway, but also was comforting knowing that my appearance is not why I'm single.
Tinder was great for me to start talking to random people and it was a lot of fun, but you can only be asked for nudes so many times before you just have to delete the app.... However, I am trying to get my grandmother to make one!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment