Friday, December 5, 2014

The Beginning: Reason #1

Quick Introduction: I'm eighteen, I have a pretty good life, and for the most part I'm a happy person. I get good grades, I have nice friends, I have a killer sense of humor and my wit is very sharp. I am also a genuinely nice person, yet here I am, eighteen and single. Not only am I single, I've actually never been on a date. It's sad and true. I have never even been asked out, pretty sure I've never even been considered as a date by a guy. As an eighteen year-old, you can probably imagine how humiliated I feel because of my constant singleness.

In no way am I a perfect person, I'm not nor will I ever be a size two, I am also short with the added bonus of a young face, so not only do I have the height of a fourteen year-old but also a similar face shape. All these are probably detrimental to my non existent dating life. However, I refuse to accept that I'm single because "I'm not trying hard enough", or "too picky", or my favorite "not making finding a boyfriend a priority." Thank you online quizzes and magazines for your insight and unhelpfulness. I appreciate feeling like I'm defective, really. I hate that I do feel like I have something wrong with me because I'm still single, but I love myself enough to not want to change myself as a person just to get a boyfriend.

And while I continue to reject the reasons stated above as legitimate reasons, there are definitely reasons I am in fact single. Reasons uniquely mine and unfortunately all true. My goal? To provide entertainment while also analyzing my life and the quirks about myself that have contributed to where I am today. I don't know what to expect to get out of this, maybe I can figure out how to be more socially appealing, or maybe I help others understand that they shouldn't have to change who they are for a relationship, or maybe this blog goes up in flames and I realize I should not be a blogger. Who knows?

Without any more babble here is reason #1; Hiccups.
Everyone has cute, small hiccups, that gasp for air and are mildly entertaining to those around. These are not one of the reasons. No, the hiccup fairy has decided to "bless" me with throat tearing, ear shattering, child scarring hiccups. This is not an exaggeration. I really do have these hiccups. They are obnoxious and loud and never ending. Most people have several over a short period of time, I get one hiccup but it occurs about every hour. One loud hiccup that spreads fear over my peers faces and exclamations of "you scared me!" I also get questions of "how does that happen?", I honestly am not too clear about why, my doctors aren't sure and I've just had to learn to accept that I will probably always be a hiccuping freak of nature. My favorite response to my always joyful hiccups is the "can you stop them?" If i could don't you think I would? Seriously people, I get that they're annoying and loud, try living with them. I get annoyed with them just as much as you. It sucks when I'm at the movies, or a play, or a school assembly and they happen, I don't like being the freak. Worst of all id the first day of school, new teachers, new students, frantically looking around the room for someone I've had class with before to back me up in saying that this is how I am, and unfortunately it's going to happen a lot throughout the year, I appreciate the people who find them hysterical and always laugh, I can deal with the laughter more than I can the looks of terror. Having people look at you like you're a monster does not boost a teenage girls confidence.

But lets face it no matter if you find them funny, or terrifying, or feel indifference about my hiccups, no one wants to date the hiccuping wierdo in class. That's why my hiccups are reason 1, Beware the hiccuping freak!

No comments:

Post a Comment